Friday, January 30, 2009

Technically, I'm Overweight

Yeah, that's me. The fat guy. Oh, wait. No I'm not! Anyone who's ever seen me would describe me as the tall skinny guy, but according to my BMI, I'm overweight. 6' 2" and 200 lbs is a BMI of 25.68. And anything over 25.00 is overweight.

Now, I did notice the little disclaimer after my results, "BMI can not determine between the overweight and the more muscular." But here's the thing. I'm not that muscular either.

So, to use what is probably an outdated phrase, what gives? Honestly, I have no idea.

I'm not going to get into all of my opinions on the types of models and actresses out there. That's been argued way too many times already. It's one thing for a couple of industries to tell us that we need to be super thin, but it's another entirely for this calculator to be used on every last one of us. I had never even considered it until I found out that my life insurance would be higher because of it. It just seems to me that something so fundamentally flawed shouldn't be so commonly used.

No comments: